I started writing fiction about ten years ago. After five manuscripts I realized I needed to learn what to do after I had a first draft. So I spent four years taking classes, going to workshops and working with people in the areas of feedback, editing, rewriting and critiques. Through this process I started editing for other writers and loved it. Those writers recommended me to other writers, and I decided to turn editing into a career endeavor.
- I am on staff with the Southern California Writers Conference http://writersconference.com/sd/staff/laura-perkins/ and run workshops on feedback, editing and world building. SCWC's upcoming schedule: http://writersconference.com/la/schedule/
- I facilitate critique groups and have been in several critique groups myself. I've worked with many different types of writers, from literary writers I met though the Lit Camp program in San Francisco, to fantasy and Sci-Fi writers that I've meet as a regular attendee at the Cons.
- I know what the author process is like and understand the stress, frustration, delight, and steps needed to bring a project into being. I currently write under the pen name Mercy Hollow.
Every editor brings their own life experience to your project. I have a unique and varied background that has provided me first-hand knowledge and experience in many areas writers often use as their story worlds.
- I have worked with the Criminal Justice Department, probation, psychiatric facilities, wilderness programs, adventure sports, middle schools and high schools -- internationally and in the US.
- I have a background in Forensic Psychology and have worked with murderers, arsonists and gangs. I helped offenders assess their strengths and needs and develop problem-solving and self-improvement skills.
- I've also worked with victims of violent crimes, DAs and law enforcement in apprehension, offender profiling and court proceedings.
- I have training and experience with people who struggle with PTSD and substance abuse. I have worked with teens and inmates with issues around narcotics, weapons and violence.
- I have lived in Europe and South America and traveled extensively internationally and domestically.
- I'm a sports nut, and have participated in multiple sports including hockey, motocross, baseball and football.
Your work is personal and I respect your story as your own. I am comfortable with any subject matter, and my role is to help facilitate your intention to get on the page. I have edited different genres but specialize in fantasy, young adult, Sci-Fi, and character-driven fiction. I love off-beat and out-of-the-ordinary projects. If I feel I am not a good match for you, I will let you know. I want to make sure you get the support you need. My goal is to motivate you to write and help you develop the tools to make your story the best it can be, while honing your strengths to utilize in your future projects. If you have any questions or want to know more, please contact me.